1.4

The insurance company inside adjuster priced what it could cost to rebuild my home, but wrote the entire transaction up as a repair. It was never reported to any internal department that the house was rebuilt by their preferred contractor. This was done intentionally, and I am certain this is not the first time this sort of scam has occurred. The more questions I asked, the more confrontational I became with what I suspected had been done to defraud my homeowners' insurance claim, the more Safeco and Protech doubled down in their denial of having rebuilt this house.

It is now 10 months later in the scam than I was supposed to last. This project was abandoned in December 2017, but I called in to Safeco and made lots of noise, so the case was reopened under the guise of "repairing and correcting" the problems for which some other contractor was responsible.

This scam relies on the homeowner being unfamiliar with the claims process and possessing vulnerable demographics. It also seems to be a scam that depends on duration over time. Originally, I was given an estimate of 3-6 months of being out of my home. My housing benefits were nearly exhausted, as I was kept out of my home for 18 + months. Once the housing benefits were nearly exhausted, my family was hustled into the property when it was not cleared for occupancy by the County of Los Angeles, though the contractor was in possession of a Certificate of Occupancy dated for a time when there was no house standing on the property because it had been demolished. I have pictures of the demolition in progress, but Safeco Insurance adjuster, Kent Stiles, wrote my claim up as if Protech was called in to do repairs only, as if they had never rebuilt this house from the ground up.

Vince Paglia, owner of Protech Construction, tried to say I didn't know him, had never spoken to him about this claim when he drove all the way to where I was housed to get me to sign a bogus contract that diverted checks for payment directly to his company, or more likely, directly to him. I have been unable to get copies of the checks that were disbursed on the claim.

This scam relies on Claimants not knowing their basic rights. Did you know that, in California, claimants have a right to a complete copy of their claim file? I asked Kent Stiles manager, Jeffrey Walker, for a copy of my claim file and he told me I couldn't have it, that was confidential information of Safeco's Claim Department.

Prior to asking Mr. Walker for a copy of the claim file, I called the company directly and requested a copy. I received an estimate that listed items that were not in this house: hard wood floors; vent-free, infrared heaters; kitchen and bathroom cabinetry and mirrors; building permits.

Did you know that permits obtained from entities that regulate building are required to be left on the property site at project completion? The permits, nor any other documentation of what materials, appliances, were used here exist, save for that first copy of my claim file I received before Kent Stiles and the Safeco Clalims Department, with the assistance of the Presidential Service Team, blocked all eyes from viewing my file as they doctored it to conform to their new narrative of repair sans rebuild.

I was made to know that I should be grateful that I had a brand new house by Nahal Mazandarani, the field adjuster who brought Vince Paglia to my house during the packout. It had been determined that repairs could not be done to the single room that was damaged because the house did not meet today's Building Code standards and I did not have a foundation. They built this place from the ground up, but do not want to take responsibility for it, will not warrant any of the work done here, but was paid, knowingly, by Kent Stiles for things not in this house.

Kent Stiles told me I should file a police report if I thought something had been stolen from my property. I did, submitted it to him as I had no other choice, and he made it disappear. It disappeared because it was a list of my original claim file, pictured below, next to the claim file I was sent after requesting it of Walker and the Presidential Service Team.

Little by little, the aftereffects of the subterfuge hit the claimant. If all had gone according to plan, I'd have been grateful for what this here is and would have kept my mouth shut, never thinking my increased insurance premium was the report of a failure to report the rebuilding of the house, no smaller by 8 square feet.

Also, my taxes have tripled. I might appreciate that if the hardwood floors that I had previously and was charged for had actually been installed. I might appreciate that if I could find that Alder door for which I was charged nearly $1000. I had recessed lighting. My home was custom built and I know the man who built it. I lived in my home 61 years, having been brought to this little house when I was 6 months old.

This scam relies heavily on poverty, targeting zip codes to pull their stunts. They may be scamming on all levels, but we, the people, the public, the consumer, may well never know because of the confidential nature of the relationship between the adjusters and the contractors. They have abused me while the Insurance Commission and the California State License Board observe.

This is a paperwork scam. It is fraud. Thankfully, fraud can be criminal and civil. There has been a mountain of misrepresentation, and I incur damages every day. I no longer feel secure in my house because it now has fire sprinklers installed, about which I know nothing. No paperwork about anything was left on site.

I requested an investigation from LA County Fraud to find out how this house could have been rebuilt without the necessary permits?

I really could not believe what I was experiencing. That, too, is part of the gaslight treatment.

Product or Service Mentioned: Safeco Insurance Homeowners Policy Claim.

Reason of review: Fraud.

I didn't like: Fraud, Misrepresenting facts like water for wind damage, Having my home and landscape destroyed, Being bullied, Paying for materials not received.

Company wrote 0 private or public responses to the review from Oct 08.

Comments